APAC Trusted Media Summit 2018
First Draft, the International Fact-Checking Network at Poynter, Storyful, and the Google News Initiative will co-host a summit for all news organizations and NGOs involved in fact-checking and fighting misinformation in the Asia-Pacific in Singapore.
The weeklong event is divided into two parts: the main conference (July 23-24) and train-the-trainer workshop / design sprint parallel sessions (July 25-27).
Main Summit (July 23-24)
The main summit will follow a traditional conference format, featuring:
- Lightning talks about fact-checking and verification initiatives in APAC
- IFCN training (half-day)
- First Draft Community of Practice Meeting
- Session on Share the Facts, Fact Check tag and discussion about implementation
- Research on misinformation ecosystem in APAC | Masato Kajimoto of the University of Hong Kong
- Office hours / 1:1 discussions for IFCN code of principles applicants, etc. Breakout sessions by country, topic (elections, health, etc.), challenges (tech, standards, etc.)
- Online safety and digital security for institutions and individuals | Project Shield, Advanced Protection, Outline, FB tools for safety
Train-the-trainer Parallel Sessions & Design Sprint (July 25-27)
For three days following the summit, there will be optional parallel sessions for participants - a train-the-trainer verification boot camp led by First Draft and Storyful, and a design sprint focused on designing/ building mobile verification tools.
Train-the-trainer: Modeled after the train-the-trainers conducted by First Draft and Storyful in Indonesia and Cambridge, participants will learn how to train others on verification using First Draft and Storyful training materials.
Design Sprint: News Lab will work to recruit volunteer design sprint masters, UX designers, Cloud and Geo engineers and other Googlers to join engineers from Storyful and others to participate in a design sprint to build provenance tools (by invitation only).