APAC Trusted Media Summit 2020
First Draft, the International Fact-Checking Network at Poynter and the Google News Initiative will co-host the third annual APAC Trusted Media Summit. This virtual event will bring together journalists, academics and NGOs involved in fact-checking and fighting misinformation across the Asia-Pacific and kick off a year of ongoing virtual activities for the fact-checking community across Asia-Pacific.
This event is for journalists, fact-checkers, educators, researchers and others who work in the area of fact-checking, verification, media literacy and otherwise fighting misinformation. Participation is by invitation-only, so please register your interest here. Once accepted, you will be sent an invitation code to register by email.
Main Summit (October 1-2)
The online event will be held on Thursday, October 1 (16:00-20:00 SGT) and Friday, October 2 (10:00-14:00 SGT), with simultaneous translation into Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin Chinese, featuring:
- Keynote speeches from First Draft's Claire Wardle and IFCN's Cristina Tardaguila
- Lightning talks about the state of misinformation, the latest research and trends, media literacy, and fact-checking and verification initiatives from across the region
- Product Updates from technology platforms about their efforts to combat misinformation
- Curated networking sessions and discussion breakouts based on attendees' individual interests and expertise
- Skill-building workshops
- Community lightning talks: Volunteer to share your stories - good and bad - with the whole community.
- Fun community-building activities!
Workshops and Bootcamps (Throughout the Year)
Throughout the year, we will offer virtual workshops, discussion forums, and intensive bootcamps in multiple languages, including:
Media Literacy Small Private Online Course (Application Required): Created for educators, this course is led by Masato Kajimoto of the University of Hong Kong, where he specializes in news literacy education, multimedia storytelling, and social media in journalism. His research incorporates learning analytics, media and cultural studies and narrative analysis. This course will run from Dec 10-18.
Verification and Fact-Checking Bootcamps: These will be offered in multiple languages throughout the year and focus on deepening verification and fact-checking skills.
Online Threat Live Simulation: First Draft is helping newsrooms to prepare for online threats through immersive training events. Live simulations place journalists at the heart of a high intensity breaking news story, challenging them to make reporting decisions in real time. The simulation events have been highly acclaimed by leading news organisations across Europe and the United States, and made their APAC debut at the 2019 APAC Trusted Media Summit last December.